This is my contribution to my Christmas dinners this year….a Cranberry Orange compote to go with the big bird. I love cranberry sauce, but most cranberry sauce recipes are loaded with refined sugar….and the pre-made cranberry sauces use high fructose corn syrup which is deeees-gusting. I decided to take the reins and make a much healthier version of cranberry sauce. This is a modified version of my late Grandmother’s recipe and I think she would be proud.
Note: There is maple syrup in this. That being said, the amount of sugar is much less than a traditional recipe and you could probably omit it all together if you are OK with a more tart taste.
Ingredients (makes LOTS…you could easily 1/2 this recipe):
– 3 Oranges – very sweet – peeled and cut into 1/2″ chunks
– 1 Cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
– ~7 Litres of cranberries (2 bags of the fresh cranberries)
– 2 cinnamon sticks
– 5 cloves
– 2 tsp of dried ginger – or use 1 tsp of fresh grated
– 1/4 Cup of maple syrup (or more/less to taste)
- Boil the orange juice, maple syrup and spices for 5 minutes
- Add the orange chunks and simmer over med-low heat for 3-4 minutes….until oranges become soft and begin to break apart
- Add the cranberries and cook uncovered for about 7 minutes or until all of the cranberries have popped.
- Cool and store in the fridge. Tastes better as the days go on.
- Enjoy with a cooked bird!
Fully Primal Husband provided the following testimonial, “Cran-f*ckin-tastic.” Enough said.