Lately I’ve been loving avocados….I go through phases where I can eat them everyday and then can’t stand them. I’ve recently been capitalizing on their versatility and using them as a substitute for mayo to make chicken/tuna salads. I love cold curried chicken salad, so I decided to try making it using avocado as the cream base. This recipe is super easy and tastes awesome in lettuce wraps or on a bed of greens with some extra lemon juice.
Ingredients (makes 3 servings):
– 1 whole cooked chicken – meat removed from the bone and shredded/chopped
– 3 celery stalks – chopped
– ¼ onion – chopped
– ½ red pepper – chopped (you could use a fruit here instead…pineapple or apple would work well)
– 1 + ½ or 2 avocados – very ripe
– 2 Tbsp curry powder
– 1 tsp ground ginger
– 1 tsp turmeric
– Juice of ½ a lemon
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Romaine leaves for the wraps (optional)
1. In a large bowl, combine chicken and veggies.
2. In a small bowl, mash the avocado with the spices and lemon juice – mash/mix well to create a creamy texture
3. Mix together the mashed avocado curry mixture with the chicken and veggies. Mix thoroughly.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste
5. Serve in lettuce wraps or on a bed of greens. When I served mine on a salad I used extra lemon juice to liquefy it a bit more.
No Fully Primal Husband testimonial this time…I hogged these all to myself:)