It’s Movember!! In case you haven’t noticed, there are many dudes sporting the ‘stache and since the ladies can’t (or at least we hope) we decided to throw a Mo’Meat dinner party. I cannot take credit for thinking of this, as it was the genius idea of Sio, part owner of Crossfit Quantum. There was Mo’Meat indeed with sausages, bacon, grass-fed beef and mo’bacon! It was most definitely a meat-fest and all for a good cause. Big thank you to Sio for hosting and providing the Mo’festivities! Big thank you to The Healthy Butcher for supplying the beef (100% grass-fed goodness). I cannot forget Fully Primal Husband, who spent Friday night peeling Rutabagas and Turnips with me….thank you! Nothing like spending a night at the Peeler with your husband. Thanks to FPH for grilling 20 sausages at 10am on a Saturday too. Last but not least, thank you to everyone who came to support the cause and for everyone who sported a ‘stache! Ladies included (you know who you are).
I was busy in the kitchen and failed to take any pictures of the mouth-watering dishes. If I can get my hands on some pic’s I will post them. In the meantime, drool over this Burt Reynolds pic. I have to admit that I’ve been very busy lately, so the dishes that I prepared are not my own. I borrowed with pride. Here are the recipes that I used:
– Bacon-Stuffed Mushrooms
– Assortment of Sausages (Hungarian and Chorizo) – from Green Gate Farms who are at local farmer’s markets around Toronto. I see them at Appletree Farmer’s Market on Thursdays. BTW, they also supplied the bacon… it’s from naturally raised pigs (hormone/antibiotic free) and it is the BEST bacon i have ever had!
– Braised Beef Blade Steak – this was the piece de resistance. Braising sounds so fancy, but it is actually a very easy cooking technique and it resulted in melt in your mouth beef that was so moist and delicious.
– Roasted Root Vegetables with Bacon and Rosemary – this one was actually my own creation and I’ll post the recipe soon.
– Fall Salad – this was inspired by this recipe i grabbed from the Food Network – I used raw shredded fennel and peppers, with roasted beets on a bed of arugula. I also changed the dressing by adding some white wine vinegar.
– Pumpkin Muffins – from the Primal Blueprint Cookbook. Buy it!
Now onto the Day 25 update! HOME STRETCH!!!!! YES!!!! I have to keep this short, but hope to write more this weekend. Things have been going great! I have to admit that pulling off Mo’Meat was not easy without my coffee or celebratory wine. There were a couple points in the evening where I wanted to strangle FPH and Sio as they discussed the merits of a wonderful Malbec. I ended up drinking so much Perrier that my stomach hurt from all the gas later (sexy). How is everyone else doing??