It’s the end of the first week in the Crossfit Quantum Spring Leaning Challenge! Only 23 more days until the end of the 30 day induction period. This weekend was a struggle for me because we had dinner at my mother-in-law’s which included wine, fresh bread, mashed potatoes, broccoli casserole and a plethora of her AMAZING homemade desserts: Chocolate cake, brownies, pumpkin pie and cheesecake. Normally I always indulge because it’s sooooo good and we only have these dinners every few months. But this time, I did not eat any of these things! I’m not going to lie, it was so hard and I felt like clawing my eye’s out. But I have to admit that I enjoyed not being in a food coma afterwards. Bless my amazing Mom-in-law because she went out of her way to make roasted veggies and a beautiful fruit salad especially for us. We then attended a friend’s b-day party where I slyly sipped on soda water pretending it was vodka & soda – a friend then questioned my drink choice, insinuating that I was pregnant! I had to explain the challenge. Too funny. In order to satisfy my craving for something sweet, I made this strawberry-rhubarb crisp. You can find fresh rhubarb at your grocery store now as it’s coming back into season. This is delicious and worked to ease the cravings.
Ingredients (serves 6)
– 5 stalks rhubarb – chopped (about 2 Cups)
– 2 C strawberries – cut into 1/2’s or 1/4’s
– 1 C pecans – chopped
– 1 C shredded coconut (unsweetened)
– 3 Tbsp coconut oil
– zest of 1 lemon
– juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- In a baking dish (about 9 x 9), spread out strawberries and rhubarb. Mix in the lemon juice and zest.
- In a bowl, melt the coconut oil. Mix the pecans and coconut with the melted oil.
- Spread the nut mixture evenly across the top of the strawberry/rhubarb, like a crust
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
98% Primal Husband (he’s doing the challenge too!!! But he had a glass of wine at dinner, so he only gets the 98% rating) provided the following testimonial, “I like the tartness and the crunch. This is good!”