Eat these in moderation! Although they are gluten-free/dairy-free, they still contain sugar and should not be part of your regular Paleo/Primal diet.
I am voting this one my best innovations of 2010! SO GOOD! In case you couldn’t tell, I was really pleased with the way these turned out. This Italian dessert rounded out the Ethnic Paleo Nights.
Ingredients (makes 20 pieces of biscotti)
– 1 1/2 C almond flour (ground almonds)
– 1/3 C coconut sugar
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1 tsp espresso powder
– just under 1/4 C grapeseed oil (i think any baking oil would work)
– 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
– 3 eggs
– 1/2 C hazelnuts – roughly chopped
– 3 Tbsp Hazelnut butter
– 2 Tbsp raw cocoa nibs
- Preheat oven to 350
- You’ll need a large baking sheet, greased or lined with parchment paper and greased
- In a large bowl, mix together almond flour, baking soda, espresso powder and hazelnuts.
- Add the coconut sugar, grapeseed oil, vanilla, raw cocoa and hazelnut butter (you might need to melt this to make it mix-able). Mix together
- Add the eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the dough into 2 length-wise shapes on the baking sheet about 3 inches apart from one another. You will need to use your hands to shape the dough – try to make each piece of dough about 12 inches long and 5 inches wide. A bit cylinder-like.
- Bake for ~30 minutes or until it’s fairly firm. Carefully loosen the dough from the baking sheet using a large spatula and move the cylinders off the baking pan and onto a cutting board. Carefully slice cross-wise on the diagonal into 1/2 inch slices.
- Put the slices back on the baking sheet and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the dough is firm and crispy.
- Good luck trying not to eat them all. Enjoy!