This is the 4th and final recipe in my Paleo Superbowl Recipe week – Southwestern Paleo Sliders! I have to say that I saved the best for last….these are SO GOOD. The secret ingredient is a Chorizo sausage (wheat-free, dairy-free). Semi-Primal Husband was skeptical about my idea to use this, but he ended up loving them and provided the following testimonial, “I was skeptical about the chorizo, but it works really well. These are so good. One of my new favourites.” I served them up 2 ways – 1 on a roasted Portobello cap, and the other on a lettuce leaf. We both agreed the lettuce leaf was better – it complimented the spice in the burger. I sautéed some mushrooms, red peppers and onions in olive oil to put on top. These also taste amazing with guacamole.
Ingredients (makes 12 mini burgers)
– 1 lb of lean ground meat (I used Venison – choose something lean)
– 1 Chorizo Sausage (wheat-free, dairy-free) – if you live in Toronto, you can find them at The Healthy Butcher . You could probably use some bacon to substitute or omit completely.
– 1/4 onion – minced
– 1 jalapeno – minced/finely chopped
– 2 tsp minced garlic
– 1 tsp Dijon mustard
– 1 tsp paprika
– 1 tsp cumin
– 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
– 1/4 tsp chili powder
– 1/4 tsp pureed chipotle pepper (optional)
– 1 egg
– 6 Tbsp olive oil (for the skillet)
– 1 Head of iceberg lettuce – leaves separated and washed in cold water
- In a large bowl, remove the chorizo from its casing. Add all other ingredients (except olive oil) and mix together well – use your hands.
- Take small handfuls of the meat and shape into 12 mini burgers. Set aside on a piece of wax paper or plate for frying.
- In a skillet, heat 2 Tbsp of the olive oil and once heated, put 4 burgers in the skillet and cook for 3 minutes per side (or until cooked through). Repeat with 2 other batches. If you have a large skillet, then do more at once!
- Serve on lettuce or roasted portabello cap with yer fixins!