This is the second recipe in my Paleo Superbowl Recipe week. The Paleo Diet does not allow sweet potatoes as part of your permissable foods….but The Paleo Diet for Athletes does. Nice! We’ll stick with that book for this post. Sweet potatoes are have a high GI, so you do need to watch the quantity if your goal is weight loss. I will often make this recipe as a side dish to my weekly Filet Mignon and I love it. The mixture of sweet and spicy crisps them up and adds so much flavour – you will not miss the fried version.
Ingredients (serves 4)
– 2 large or 4 small sweet potatoes – peeled, ends trimmed and cut into fry shapes
– 2 Tbsp olive oil
– 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
– 1/2 tsp chili powder
– 1/2 tsp or more cinnamon
– salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400
- While the oven is pre-heating, put your sweet potatoes in the microwave for about 7 minutes to start cooking them
- Once microwaved, line a baking sheet with tin foil and spread out sweet potatoes
- Drizzle the olive oil and sprinkle the spices over the sweet potatoes. Mix around to spread evenly
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes (if you didn’t microwave them, this will take about 40 minutes). Flip them around to see if they are getting crisp. Allow them to bake for another 5-10 minutes if they have not begun to crisp up.
- Turn the oven to Broil and let them broil (on the bottom rack away from the broiler) for about 5 minutes to get them to finish crisping.
- Enjoy! ( i have to admit that these are really good dipped in tatziki – not paleo, but if you’re cheating then go for it!)