The Challenge: Come up with some Paleo Superbowl Food. That is what I’m going to be posting this week. These recipes will be Paleo-ized versions of munchies. Although they use Paleo ingredients, these are not recommended for weight loss or everyday consumption, but they will definitely be healthier than typical bar food. The first recipe in this series in my attempt at Nachos. I say attempt because these aren’t perfect and I lost about 1/2 the batch because they stuck to the wax paper or fell apart. But the ones that turned out were pretty good and satisfying!
Ingredients (serves 3)
– 1/2 Cup flax seeds (soak them overnight in 1 cup of water)
– 1/4 Cup almond flour
– 1 Egg
– 1 Tbsp minced garlic
– 1 Tbsp tomato paste (organic)
– 1/2 jalapeno pepper (i would recommend using a whole pepper – these were not spicy enough for me) – seeds removed, sliced
– 1/2 tsp chili powder (I would probably use more next time – maybe 3/4 tsp or 1 tsp)
– 1/2 tsp onion powder
– 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Make sure you’ve soaked the flax seeds as per ingredients
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Put all ingredients into a food processor and mix until it is blended well
- Thoroughly cover a baking sheet lined with wax paper with Non-Stick Spray (i know, not Paleo). I say thoroughly, because this is how I lost 1/2 the batch.
- Evenly spread nacho mixture on wax paper to create a thin layer (about 1/8 inch thick)
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cut into triangle nacho shapes. Put back in the oven for 5-10 more minutes or until they are mostly crispy.
- Remove and immediately get them off the wax paper to cool.
- Serve with Salsa and/or Guacamole (make your own or use a store-bought mix that doesn’t contain any additives – organic ones usually don’t contain any non-paleo stuff)
My Semi-Primal Husband often eats real nachos, so I wasn’t expecting him to like these. He gave the following testimonial, “These are pretty good. I actually like them plain.” Not bad!!