Eat these in moderation! Although they are gluten-free/dairy-free, they still contain sugar and should not be part of your regular Paleo/Primal diet.
I miss chocolate. Sometimes I fall off the wagon and inhale a large quantity of chocolate – this is not recommended. What I do recommend is trying Raw Cocoa and that’s what this recipe uses. They look like Timbits, but they definitely don’t contain any of the same ingredients. Raw Cocoa has a bitter taste, so I recommend you try a bit before committing to an entire batch.
Ingredients (makes about 25 balls)
– 1 Cup pecans
– 1 Cup of dried apples and apricots (1/2 and 1/2). Make sure it’s the kind where the only ingredient is apple or apricot. Sunridge Farms makes a variety of dried organic fruits with nothing added – I know Whole Foods has these. You want to soak them in water for about an hour to moisten them up – otherwise they won’t break down.
– 2 tsp raw cocoa powder
– 1 tbsp maple syrup
– 1/4 c unsweetened shredded coconut
- Soak the dried fruit for an hour – as per above.
- In a food processor, grind up the pecans to a fairly fine texture. Stop before you make Pecan butter.
- Add the dried fruit, maple syrup and cocoa powder – process until it forms a doughy ball. You might need to go in and cut up some of the dried fruit if it’s not breaking down.
- Take small portions of the dough and roll into little balls – then roll them through the dried coconut.