Before you read this recipe, take a minute to learn about the tragedy in Haiti and how you can help. Here is a link where you can donate $5 via text – every little bit will help.
I don’t have enough time to sit and eat a nice breakfast every morning – it’s usually in my car (i use nice silverware to be civilized). I also tend to eat lunch at my desk and snacks on the go. These are all bad habits. But, I’m busy and sometimes that means eating and multi-tasking. This recipe is PERFECT for these occasions and they look very gourmet (especially compared to the hunk of chicken and 1/2 cucumber that you’ll normally see me eating at my desk). This is totally portable and would make an excellent breakfast, lunch or snack. Or appetizer for a dinner party. Radicchio is also in-season…extra bonus!
Ingredients (makes 8 Radicchio Wraps)
– 2 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts – shredded or cut in small pieces
– 1 radicchio
– 2 celery stalks – cut into small pieces
– 1/4 C chopped basil
– 2 Tbsp olive oil
– 2 Tbsp lemon juice
– 1 tsp garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic)
– salt and pepper to taste
- Carefully peel and separate the leaves from the radicchio. Soak them in cold water for a 1-2 minutes – this will help to crisp them up so they maintain their curves. Let them dry.
- In a bowl mix together the chicken, celery and basil
- In a small bowl mix together olive oil, garlic powder, lemon juice, salt and pepper
- Pour the dressing into the chicken salad and mix
- Scoop some of the chicken salad into the radicchio wrap.
My Semi-Primal Husband saw me eating these and wasn’t too interested. I asked him if he wanted a bite so he obliged and said, “wow, this is actually really good. I want to make these for my lunch!” Then he proceeded to eat the rest of the wrap. I will take that as a compliment.